Lost A Friend And Gained A Mission

10:51 Unknown 0 Comments


This story is about a girl I knew from my childhood. Someone, who taught me a life long lesson. We were the best of friends in high school. On a cold winter day she left for her native place to spend her Christmas holidays along with her family. With slight tears in our eyes, we hugged and bid farewell hesitating not to show her how alone I felt inside. As the holiday passed we started hearing stories of heavy military operations in her native area.

Every day we heard news of civilians being killed and women being raped and every night I went to bed praying for her safety. And as days passed things started to calm, but there was no news about her whereabouts. The days passed and eventually our school resumed classes. In my best uniform I dressed and awaited her arrival but the gates closed and she was nowhere at sight.

Time passed swiftly, I studied hard and for a moment it felt like memories about her were fading. Though at times I used to wonder what could have happened to her. After my studies, I cleared the civil service exams and joined as an SDO to a remote area near the state border. As I was touring on my newly posted region, out of the blue some heavily armed Naga Armies halted my car and requested if they could hop in. Having no other option I said yes and inquired where they wanted to go.

The sergeant said that their commander wanted to meet me so that they could sort out any misunderstandings between them and my administration. Having no other option I headed with them to a nearby village. After leaving my car and the driver behind, we headed towards the headman’s house. There were around twenty fully armed cadres spread out around the compound watching the different roads that lead to the village.

The sergeant guided me to the room where the commander was. Expecting an old man, I was shocked to see that their commander was non other than my old friend Akali. Still brilliant and lovely as before but with an air of strength and detachment. She was equally shocked to see me and to know that i was working for the Government. After the awkward meeting we were relaxed and back to our friendly old selves. We spoke of ordinary affairs like how life as a revolutionary was, how my career was progressing, whether I was married or not, etc.

Since I was anxious, I asked her why she had to join the struggle where life was a risk at every turn. She looked at me compassionately and told me a story of agony. In spite of her dad being in Civil Service, they had to endure a lot, and the harassment and torture her family had to face lead to the death of her father and brother as they succumbed to the injury inflicted, as a result of military operations conducted by the Indian Army.

In a way she was thankful that she had not been raped or had to go through the pain and the hardships unlike the others as she spoke fluent Hindi and English and in a way that helped the Indian Army in translating the local dialect and made use of her as a guide. Unfortunately for her, the Government which employed her father was of no help and the toll it took of her father`s demise killed her mom instantly as well. Within a week of her father's demise her mother passed away.

Coming from a family of patriots she felt that it was time to give her bit to the Nation and thus she enrolled. She trained hard and was now a 2nd Lieutenant in the Naga Army, and was commanding a whole platoon. After a few formal discussions we spent the rest of the day chatting about the past until my time for departure neared. I felt sad that i had to leave but was proud as well, for she was fighting for something worthwhile as a true daughter of the soil.

We shooked hands, and in conviction asked her if she considered me as a foe but she smiled and replied “the invader is not the one with the INSAS but can disguise itself in the form of aid, knowledge, culture and alliance as well” so as Nagas we must learn their traits to combat them more effectively in order to break this chains that binds and misguide us. So be true in what you do, in the best of your abilities and work hard for your people.

With that bit of advice we parted our ways never to see each other again as she breathed her last during a confrontation with the Indian Armed Forces in the midst of a prominent uprising. Her cognizance made me reminisce and I as a Naga promised to myself that i would try my best to uplift and help our people and provide any assistance that can be availed under my Administration.


KUKNALIM

0 comments: